Sunday, May 27, 2012

Wk4 Leadership Project Blog Post: Leadership Role Model Reflection


photo courtesy of addyosmani.com 


Ok, so here goes a little dreaming…I love Google. Maybe you’re thinking, “Right, who doesn’t?” Whenever I drive by the Corporate Google offices here in Austin, I end up coming home and doing a little research, I mean it’s just right there, not far from my house!

There are very specific reasons why I love Google that are directly related to leadership. One of those reasons is culture and diversity. I would love to be a part of an organization of people from all over the world who come together to collaborate on ways to create products that make life more interesting and efficient for the world. There is no single “type” of Googler. Google hires creative, innovative and smart people who are able to work collaboratively to think into the future and explore the next world-changing technology that could impact billions of people. This is like the NASA of everyday technology!

Another reason that I love Google is that women lead major portions of the business. I look to women as role models for leadership because I am a woman. That is not to say that I cannot learn from male leaders, I can and do, but a holding female leadership as a core value is a very important to me.

Finally, as a leadership role model, I appreciate how Google sees their employees as human beings. While they may refer to their employees as Googlers, at least they are not numbers. From what I know about the company, they have invested the same type of innovation that goes into their products into their benefits. They care about the whole person, that is, they strive to address the needs of their employees like we wish any company would. Their benefits are designed around taking care of the whole person’s health; physically, emotionally, socially and financially.

I’m not saying that Google is a perfect company or the only possible great place to pursue a career but it is certainly a role model for 21st century companies on the cutting edge of innovation in technology, marketing and employee care.

1 comment:

  1. For those of us who have worked for very traditional organizations Google can seem like Nirvana. When I was running a magnet grant program converting my elementary school to a video-journalism based school, I usually worked from 9 AM to 9 PM on campus and when I requested being paid for the extra hours I was told that traditionally all I could get was one additional hour per day and be happy with that. Then with over three months left in the school year they decided to pull the added hour pay, while still expecting me to continue to support our teachers while teaching my classes. Not a very good example of how to support your creative people... education and decision-makers have a lot to learn about how to keep creative people. :-)

    ReplyDelete